31. The Promotion
(✩✩) - DVD
- Two guys have their sights set on a prmomotion at a grocery store chain. Stars John C. Reilly and the guy who played Stifler. The premise sounds good and it appears to have the right actors, but the movie is bad. It tries to be your usual comedy but it misses the mark big time. I was wondering why I never heard of this movie and now I know why.
32. Barney's Version
(✩✩✩½) - DVD
- A man's life story involving three marriages and a killing. Stars Paul Giamatti and an all-star cast including Rosamund Pike, Minnie Driver, Dustin Hoffman, Bruce Greenwood, Scott Speedman and Saul Rubinek. It's a Canadian film that takes place largely in Montreal. Rachelle Lefevre also has a small role in the film. I'm mentioning this because she's the reason I got wind of this movie. Needing time to shoot this is what supposedly got her fired from the Twilight movies. Anyway, the story starts off slow and unengaging, but sweeps you away eventually, leaving you thinking that you've watched a pretty decent movie.
33. The Best and the Brightest
(✩✩½) - Download
- Stars Neil Patrick Harris and Bonnie Somerville. This is a weird movie. I thought it was going to be about a young couple trying to get their kid into a prestigious school, but it totally tuned into something else. In that regard it fails. It could have been a good story and commentary about the cutthroat mentality of today's overbearing parents and how they compete through their kids, but we didn't get that. What it became was somewhat entertaining though. Christopher McDonald and Kate Mulgrew play a high society couple and they seriously ham it up big time with some mild and not so mild raunch.
34. Upside Down
(✩✩✩✩) - Download
- It's a love story and commentary on the class system set in a fictitious world that has dual gravity. Watch the trailer if that doesn't make any sense.
I got this after reading Starbreaker
. I like Kirsten Dunst and was totally intrigued by the concept. It's something scifi fans should watch just for the concept and visual spectacle. Unfortunately, what this world is and how it works are poorly explained and I found myself trying to figure it all out. Was this two planets stuck in close proximity? Where does the sun come from? I didn't know. It also has a lot of physical laws that are only there to serve the plot. In the end though, it's fantasy, not science, so just sit back and enjoy the sights and the wonderful soundtrack.
Live TV: 10