View Single Post
Old March 1 2013, 01:39 PM   #30
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: What is the biggest reason that you read Trek novels/stories?

Halogen wrote: View Post
Hey, really illuminating responses. Thank you. Did not expect all the elaboration, especially.

I suppose I should weigh in on why I tend to shy away from trek fiction.

- When I pick up a book, part of the joy for me is learning about new characters, and having a new world skillfully laid out for me by the author.

- I do not like mixing formats. Wires get crossed in my brain when I'm reading a description of things I saw with my eyes on TV. Reading for me is a lot about the richness of the prose. So, while there is an interesting magic about reading words about familiar actions that create a character previously rendered only visually and aurally, for me I get a bitter taste. I have picked up one or two novels and was struck by the amount of words that went into describing the minutiae of Trek characters, like Picard pulling his shirt down, or Sisco having a loud and authoritative voice, etc.

Now, I am not criticizing those who like Trek fiction. Not at all. That's why I made a poll, so I could hear what motivates folks.

I would be interested in fic that diverges quite a bit from existing storylines. Any recs?
Vanguard.

Set on a space station during TOS, it's a bit like how HBO might reimagine the original series, following characters you don't often see in Trek (gangsters, reporters, intelligence officers) instead of the usual bridge crew, and just incredibly kickass from any perspective. It's 8 books, it's over, so you know that it ends well and you won't be reading a series until sales dwindle sometime in the far future. Some of the best TrekLit ever.

Start with Harbinger; the whole list is in the flowchart in my signature. There's some other peripheral stuff but it's not necessary, just read the main 8.