Thread: Old Folks Homes
View Single Post
Old March 1 2013, 03:08 AM   #19
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

Re: Old Folks Homes

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
TSQ, you can do a lot of the initial research online, getting names of facilities / communities, looking up how they're rated by the agencies that monitor them, and so on. At some point, she's going to need to be formally assessed to determine what level of care she needs (independent living, some level of assisted living, or skilled nursing). But in the meantime, do you know whether she needs actually nursing care or just assistance with activities of daily living (ADL's)? That will help decide where she should go, because not all facilities offer all levels. Once you have a few places in mind, you're going to have to go out there and visit them.

It's been years since I did all this for my father, but I'll be glad to try answering any questions you may have.
^This.
Also, when you visit make sure you talk to the residents and their family members that visit them on a regular basis. Residents tend to have a one sided view but if there is any truth to what they say their relatives will confirm it. Make sure you check the ratings as a starting point ago go back for as many years as you can. Many facilities will show when they are trending something good or bad.

Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote