Thread: Why Khan?
View Single Post
Old March 1 2013, 12:54 AM   #93
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Why Khan?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I'm asking for THEME. I'm asking for a subject matter that leaves me thinking after the movie. I want them to take a subject and flesh it out in as many different ways as possible. Provide counter opinions for a healthy debate, but still make it true to life.
I took from ST 2009 that it was the "Nature vs Nurture" debate. Two Kirks we know: one grows up with a Mum and Dad, goes to Starfleet, makes great choices in life, commands a famous starship and makes it more famous. Another loses his Dad at birth, is rudderless for way too many years, makes poor choices, until Pike sponsors him. Isn't it also about fate?: is every Kirk destined to command the Enterprise? Certainly, he does in the Prime Universe, the Mirror Universe and this new timeline.

Spock and Uhura: their choice to have a relationship in this new timeline puts them on different personal arcs than in the Prime Universe. This Spock also has a very different father/son relationship than the Prime Universe Spock, who did not speak to Sarek as father-and-son for decades. And they have now lost Amanda and their home planet. How will it affect their futures?

Pike's destiny: crippled in both timelines.

After the film, my friends and I enjoyed many healthy debates about "Nature vs Nurture" and Fate and Destiny. Too bad you weren't there.
I also saw that--but I saw it in Nemesis as well. And that's when I had the debate, with my father. This is a better executed version of Nemesis. Vengeance. Trauma that leads to anger. Kirk left without any tempering by his father in comparison to Spock. Shinzon led by his pseudo-father that teaches him that hope is childish and Picard's completely different philosophy because their lives created "a unique individual."

Spock going on a vendetta after his father's conversation about how he shouldn't try to hide his anger is another reason why it doesn't hold up. Spock isn't any better off than Kirk. I would also add that Kirk has father figures. He has Pike "Your father was Captain of a Starship for 10 minutes...," and Prime Spock.

It's also on display that Spock is wrong. "A captain cannot cheat death." Kirk cheats death all the time and his recklessness has proven to keep him alive, "something Starfleet's lost." It's encouraged. And I don't think that's all that good to be putting forth. It's a movie and you can manipulate circumstances. Sometimes people lose and what I hope is that they continue with this character trait and have him lose to temper his arrogance.