View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 11:20 PM   #129
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

23. Argo (A)

The newly-crowned Best Picture of 2012. I rewatched it a few days ago, and it more or less confirmed my opinion from the first viewing in theatres: it's a very well-made film, and while it wouldn't have been my choice, it will age well and won't prove an embarassment for the Academy. The cast is very low-key, but pleasantly won the SAG Ensemble Award, which is just the sort of thing that a movie that doesn't go for standout individual performances should be in contention for. The ending is openly admitted as a dramatic device, but so what? I'd still rate Gone Baby, Gone as Affleck's best work so far, but this is close to that level.

24. Cool Hand Luke (B+)

Ah, the 1960s, when everyone was sticking it to The Man. This became one of Paul Newman's defining roles, and supplied pop culture with the oft-repeated "failure to communicate" line, but in retrospect I don't think it's an especially great movie, though it isn't bad either. The scene between Luke and his mother is terrific, though.

Cinema: 7
Home Video: 16 (+1)
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote