View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 10:47 PM   #149
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: The Constellation's registry number

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
FWIW, in the TMP blueprints from Pocket Books, that Gene Roddenberry signed off on, the specs on the refit Enterprise say
Model: MK-IX-A
Type: HEAVY CRUISER
Class: STARSHIP II
Rather than settling anything, IMO this really supports all three competing interpretations of "Starship Class", Jein's, and FJ's. Since "MK IX" comes from the Space Seed graphic [http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...n_Doe_Starship], these specs give weight to that graphic.
And what weight would that be?

The "Trouble With Tribbles" schematic (planned for "Space Seed" but not shown in the episode) obviously doesn't show a starship, but a phaser bank of a starship of the Constitution Class. The text reads:

PRIMARY PHASER L.R.
STARSHIP MK IX/01
CONSTITUTION CLASS

Since there were no "Mark" designations for navy vessels in the 1960's, add to this that "Mark" is a designation for weapons in Star Trek (e.g. photon torpedos), the "MK IX/01" obviously refers to the type of primary phaser Scotty is looking at (the schematic is supposed to tell him what type of phaser he's looking at, especially since the other text makes it abundantly clear to which class of starships it belongs ).

Alternately, it's the primary phaser of a Starship USS MK IX/01 - Yes, sounds strange but Greg Jein interpreted the "MK IX/01" to belong to the USS Enterprise because of the "01". And further concluded that the Enterprise has to belong to the Constitution Class.
Essentially, what we have here, is a primary phaser that determined what kind of class the Enterprise belongs to, other than Starship Class.

Franz Joseph simply copied and pasted it into his materials.
He wasn't a Star Trek fan and didn't nearly do the kind of in-depth research work Greg Jein otherwise did in his article.

Apparently, David Kimble assumed the "MK-IX" business to be the product of accurate and credible research (two people saying he same thing, can't be wrong, right?).

Anyway, the TMP Blueprints do not refer to a "Constitution Class" but a "Starship Class II".

And there's more! Please go to sheet 6 of 14 (K'tinga Battlecruiser). Like with the Enterprise before there is text comment / introduction to the new Klingon ship, excerpt:

"NORMALLY, PATROLLING IN "PACKS" OF THREE, THE CRUISERS ARE DEADLY FOR A SINGLE FEDERATION STARSHIP, THE NEW ENTERPRISE CLASS, HOWEVER, PROMISES TO EVEN THOSE ODDS."

Whether this refers to "new" (opposite "old" TOS Enterprise Class) or "new" (as in not available previously) can remain a subject of speculation. But since Matt Jefferies was involved with the conception of the TMP Enterprise, I don't think it to be unlikely that the Enterprise creator showed his hand here (and I don't bite the hand that feeds me).

@ Timo

It's definitely "Starship Class II" and not "Starship Class 11".
The stardate is given in the same font as "7912.7"

And I'm unable to see where it can possibly contradict Jefferies' 17th design nomenclature. Considering the Archon was already a "starship" in "Return of the Archons", add to this that pre-TOS models (i.e. Daedalus Class) show the same TOS hull plating and tubular warp engine style, I'd rather speculate that "Starship II" refers to the new movie design, i.e. aztec hull pattering and slim warp engines.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote