View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 07:34 PM   #67
yousirname
Commander

Re: Direct-to-DVD Trek movies?

CoveTom wrote: View Post
What exactly would nudity, swearing, and graphic violence add to Trek, though?
Credibility and greater reflection of contemporary tastes. I don't personally feel like nudity, swearing and graphic violence added anything essential to The Sopranos or The Wire. But the fact that those shows were free to contain such elements as the plot required is a reflection of contemporary tastes, which are more accepting of such content.

If the recent trends in TV drama continue, TV Trek as we know it will simply be a relic of a bygone era - there are certainly shows that gain little in terms of story or character by the mere fact of being shot in colour, but that's not a reason to shoot them in black and white, is it? Consumer tastes demand that shows be in colour.

I'm not sure that would be different on TV. In fact, I would think it would be less conducive to that. As has been pointed out, TV is a medium that lends itself to more thoughtful, thought-provoking stories about complex characters and big ideas. Which is why I, personally, think Trek has always worked best as a TV show. To add in a bunch of nudity, language and graphic violence, just because "hey, we're not on a network and we can," seems not only unnecessary but counterproductive to the Trek brand.
It's not as though the two are mutually exclusive (again, thinking of recent critically-acclaimed HBO shows). I'm not saying that we need to ditch what we already like about Trek, just that it may be the case that Trek as we know it is just too far behind the pace of contemporary tastes, and that it might need major adjustments to correct that fact if we're ever to get another Trek show.

Would "Chain of Command" really have been more powerful if Picard had been bloodied up and called Madred a motherf**ker? I don't think so. In fact, I think the fact that they used an appropriately "sci-fi" method of torture, and didn't depict it as traditional graphic violence, made it all the more effective, and that's part of what makes Trek special. Your mileage may vary.
I agree that it wouldn't necessarily be more effective, but I don't agree at all that it would be less so.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote