View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 06:46 PM   #114
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Star Trek: INS- Son'a/Dominion Question

sonak wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post

well we disagree on how "pure" powers at war can afford to be. Ru'afo was offering Dougherty a potential key to victory at NO COST to the UFP. Drug-suppliers to the Dominion or not, Dougherty would have been a fool not to take the Son'a deal.
There is absolutely no evidence that the metaphasic radiation represented a significant strategic wartime advantage for the Federation.

It's actually unclear when the film takes place in relation to the Dominion War, though it is implied that it takes place after said conflict--in which case wartime strategy is not a concern. As an argument, I consider this a red herring.

And you saying there is "NO COST" doesn't mean there isn't one. There is absolutely a cost to the Ba'ku.

seriously? You don't consider a resource that can double the life-span of soldiers or heal all kinds of battlefield injuries and conditions to be a "significant advantage?"

Remember that there was no indication at this point that the war would be a short one. I'm really amazed to continually read responses about how the particles wouldn't make a difference in war.
That the particles would be even slightly useful in a battlefield situation is a baseless assumption. What is said in the film is that the radiation "continually regenerates our genetic structure" or somesuch, which would make it useful for, yes, attacking cancers, and enhancing longevity. Healing wounds? That has nothing to do with genetic damage, so the particles would be useless for that.