View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 06:06 PM   #112
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: INS- Son'a/Dominion Question

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
They would have had every right to be hostile in that situation but weren't, so they might have been open to the possibility of allowing elderly or sick Federation citizens to rehab on their world as long as they preserved the planetary environment, disarmed themselves, and lived a simple lifestyle without overrunning the planet with technology and people.
Actually I wonder if the Ba'ku would actually care what tech level the federation people living on the planet would have under an greement as long as they just didn't live in the valley.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

It was indeed an internal dispute, however the Ba'ku were content to live their lives in seclusion without ever bothering anyone. The Son'a wanted to harvest the radiation for themselves and remain a spacebound civilization. If we take Federation involvement as a foregone conclusion, the known facts indicate that the Ba'ku were never violent or hostile toward the Son'a who rebelled--in fact, they welcomed some of them back with open arms once the hostilities were over. Ru'afo's sect tried to assume leadership for themselves, and were exiled for it. The Ba'ku were in the right, as far as that goes.

I believe I said before that it was a calculated risk on his part, undertaken mainly to get access to the planet without the Federation treating his fleet as hostile.

I doubt the Federation would have been inclined to grant Ru'afo anything at all, considering that the Son'a were a known Dominion ally, and he basically would've been asking the Federation to enable him in carrying out a personal vendetta. Their response more likely would have been, "Are you fucking kidding? No, you're not going to waltz through our space so you can kick your parents off their planet and use its magical radiation to heal yourselves. You helped the Dominion, for crying out loud. You'd probably just as soon slaughter them all. GTFO our territory." Instead, he approached the Federation with a deal that offered them something extremely tantalizing, and no doubt portrayed it as a very simple operation that could be completed quickly and with a minimum of fuss.

If not for Data being there, the Enterprise never would've been involved, and yes, Ru'afo probably would've just exterminated the Ba'ku and either taken over the planet or used the collector. The Federation can hardly be blamed for not stopping an atrocity they didn't even know was going to happen.

well we disagree on how "pure" powers at war can afford to be. Ru'afo was offering Dougherty a potential key to victory at NO COST to the UFP. Drug-suppliers to the Dominion or not, Dougherty would have been a fool not to take the Son'a deal.
There is absolutely no evidence that the metaphasic radiation represented a significant strategic wartime advantage for the Federation.

It's actually unclear when the film takes place in relation to the Dominion War, though it is implied that it takes place after said conflict--in which case wartime strategy is not a concern. As an argument, I consider this a red herring.

And you saying there is "NO COST" doesn't mean there isn't one. There is absolutely a cost to the Ba'ku.
Plus the radiation wouldn't be that much of a game changer since it doesn't do jack for phaser/energy weapon blasts, exploding consoles, exploding ships, other exploding things, or getting blown into space.

Not to mention the political issues over the federation's allies wanting a piece of this magic radition. becuase this sounded like a federtion only kind of thing from how Dougherty was talking about it.

tighr wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I, for one, question how the Federation could lay claim on a planet they hadn't made official contact with and claimed it SO MUCH that they felt it was their "right" to relocate the population of the planet in order to "restore them to their natural evolution" when the people on the planet got there before there even WAS a Federation.
It seemed to me that Dougherty was lying to the Federation council. They're off on Earth or wherever, he's there making decisions, and providing them with bad information. He didn't seem like a very nice guy.
Not to mention how easiy it was for Ru'afo to talk him into attacking up the Enterprise.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote