View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 03:22 PM   #64
yousirname
Commander

Re: Direct-to-DVD Trek movies?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The profanity and the nudity could have been edited out. The real reason why a show like that couldn't survive in broadcast is that it has a niche appeal, and can't get the 10M or so you need in order to survive (more on CBS, less on NBC).
I've heard of such practices, but I've never seen the results (not American) apart from feature films. Is that actually accepted practice, and do people watch the results?

So why does the next series need to be "network safe" if its not under the FCC's thumb? I'm not suggesting nudity or swearing (except in Klingon and Romulan of course), but more violence and disturbing material might be appropriate, space is a dangerous place.
Well, that's what I'm asking. Though, if you're not suggesting nudity and swearing, why aren't you suggesting them? It would certainly be a radical shift, but so would graphic violence.

And that's why I don't expect the next series to be on premium cable, even though the numbers would add up just as they do on streaming. A franchise associated with free TV doesn't fit their brand image.
That's a fair point. I always wondered why HBO didn't snap up Arrested Development. That seems like a reasonable explanation.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote