View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 08:22 AM   #13
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x05 "Loud As A Whisper"

T'Girl wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
At first I thought that it was kind of silly that no one knew or understood sign language (even Data)
You've misquoted me. I never said that. Jeyl did.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Riker; "It's not our job to police the galaxy" - This was obviously meant as a political statement, one that refered to the foreign policy of the U.S. at the time the episode was written.
Were you referring to the Soviet Union's military finally pulling out of Afghanistan, or some other American foreign policy achievement of that time period?

I do not understand your question. "American foreign policy achievement"? If you're referring to the CIA being responsible for training the muhajadeen who were in turn responsible for turfing out the Soviets, look how that turned out, hardly a "foreign policy achievement". The political statement I took from the line I mentioned was that a government should leave well alone when it comes to others affairs. "It's not our job to police the galaxy" or "It's not America's job to police the world". That is not to say I agree or disagree with the statement, I am merely noting that it was put there by a notably liberal creative team.