View Single Post
Old February 28 2013, 03:56 AM   #9
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Rise like lions ideas on the Mirror universe?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I swear I heard that suggestion I posted, right here on this forum. I wouldn't have thought of it if I didn't see it here.
See

David Mack wrote: View Post
cal888 wrote: View Post

Congrats to David Mack on an excellent book!
First, I'm glad you liked the book. Thanks for the kind words.

As to some of your questions, I have speculative answers to some, but I'm keeping those under my hat for the time being, just in case I end up writing another Mirror Universe novel someday. Let's just say that if one combined the TV series Fringe with the TNG episode "Parallels," one would have a good idea where Memory Omega is getting its brilliant technology.

Regarding the Klingons' and Cardassians' slaughter of their former-Terran Empire slaves, my thinking was that they each eliminated only those within their unique sphere of control — i.e., inside the Cardassian Union and the Klingon Empire proper; the jointly controlled territory of the Alliance, which included the former Terran worlds, would not be under either power's exclusive jurisdiction, nor would it harbor any targets of strategic value equal to those inside the native territories. That's why the Purges didn't hit those worlds to anywhere near the same degree.

As for the "class" of the MU Enterprise and her sister ships, I saw them as being something completely different from anything we've ever seen before. I avoided naming their "class" for exactly that reason, and chose to refer to them simply as "jaunt ships" (a nod to a classic Stephen King short story, "The Jaunt".)

While I understand why some readers might think this could have been a 600-page story, I think the story is exactly the length it needed to be. Some things are better left to the imagination, in my opinion, and it's always fun to leave room for future explorations.
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote