View Single Post
Old February 27 2013, 08:48 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Chris Cooper has signed on to play Noman Osborn in Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for Columbia Pictures.
Interesting choice.

davejames wrote: View Post
I might be able to buy that if the character in the comics didn't seem to spend most of her time lounging around in Peter's apartment, in nothing but her underwear.

She's certainly never been portrayed as a ditz, but I don't see her being all that deep or complex either.
But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that we can see right there in the actual comics that Peter Parker fell in love with her because of her kindness, her willingness to stick with him through hardship, and the like. It's not about rating her looks or her IQ on a numerical scale, it's about the bonds that form between two people through their shared experience and emotional ties. Of course she looked hot and sexy; most characters in visually oriented fiction do, so it doesn't really mean that much in context, especially when the writers surround Peter with lots of other gorgeous love interests like Gwen and the Black Cat and Glory Grant, not to mention all the gorgeous, scantily clad superheroines he works alongside. What matters is the stories, the interaction between the characters. The stories clearly show that Peter and MJ's relationship is about shared experience and commitment and trust, about their mutual support for one another. Which is not to say it hasn't been a turbulent relationship; there were a couple of times when she left him. And the fact that they were able to work through that and reunite (up until the idiocy of "One More Day") shows how much substance their was to their relationship, beyond the superficial factor of how she looked.

I've actually gotten to write the Peter-MJ relationship, in my novel Spider-Man: Drowned in Thunder. I read the entire run of The Amazing Spider-Man and as many other Spidey comics as I could get my hands on as research for that book, and I got into the heads of the characters in order to write about their relationship. And I felt it was a very rich and substantive relationship between two mature, mutually supportive people. Heck, even in the post-OMD comics where they're not married anymore, they still have a really nice, if platonic, relationship based on mutual trust, respect, understanding, and empathy, and we get to see what a really decent, worthwhile human being MJ is. Anyone who sees only the surface is just not paying attention.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote