View Single Post
Old February 27 2013, 07:41 PM   #56
dub
Captain

Re: Direct-to-DVD Trek movies?

Oh, no doubt. I'm sure Netflix, Amazon or Hulu would jump at the chance to stream a new Trek series. I don't think anyone would argue with that. But would streaming provide enough profit to warrant Paramount to produce an expensive Trek series exclusively for streaming? I think the answer right now is -- that remains to be seen. Could be "yes" at some point in the future, but it's not clear right now. I think television to netflix would be the more likely scenario at the moment for Trek. And honestly, I don't think Trek is as "nichey" as it once was. Whether you love it or hate it, JJ has (so far) successfully made the idea of Trek more mainstream and appealing to the masses these days. If someone pitched a Trek series with the cool factor and sex appeal of JJ Trek and a premise that had a Lost-like serial nature, then I could easily see any of the big 4 networks picking it up AND it would be profitable for the studio. Re-airing season by season on Netflix, yes. That would just be icing on the cake and perhaps good marketing for the series. But like I said, if the tables turn in the future I would be all about it! I love Netflix!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote