Thread: Why Khan?
View Single Post
Old February 27 2013, 06:26 PM   #38
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why Khan?

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
As for the OP, Khan is a character, not a situation. The whole point of the reboot was to put familiar Trek characters in new situations. Khan still has his Eugenics Wars backstory, which is more than enough reason to be pissed off at the peoples of Earth. Overthrown and exiled to space, now back for revenge.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Where are the voices of these characters? What did this movie say? What commentary was it attempting to reflect upon our society?
Spock came out of the closet, TOS analogy-style. I'm amazed often it zooms over the heads of fans of the original show! It was much more personal than "save the whales" or "the Berlin wall falls in space," but I'd say it's a very important message nontheless.
There are no gay Star Trek characters. Believe me, any nod in that direction was far-fetched and too well hidden. He is a child of two worlds. He lives in both. His parents raised him to be a child of two distinct cultures. The first Spock saw only the Vulcan way. Can you imagine 18-year-old Leonard Nimoy asking his mother if it was okay to take the Kholinar? It is contrasted by Kirk lacking a father and the differences in their lives because of it. Who saves Kirk? Dad. And don't ever mention Spock's mom, he will go ape.

They ruined this by going too far with Sarek. "I married your mother because I loved her." and "Do not try to." He can be angry? That's a can of worms. So Spock goes on his little vendetta defeating the purpose of the upbringing and the entire story around it. This is run-of-the-mill storytelling.
No, Spock isn't gay, but his story is a coming out allegory - using emotions.

Spock is more emotional than other Vulcans. He tries to hide it his whole life. Spock has a secret inappropriate relationship with a student, analogous to a closeted homosexual in a relationship. After Vulcan is destroyed he comes out to his father, saying he has these emotions and can no longer pretend otherwise. Sarek accepts it, tells Spock his mother would have told him not to try and hide it and tells Spock he's grateful for him. Then we see "out" Spock saying an intimate goodbye to Uhura in front of everyone and later telling Kirk what he thinks should happen to Nero.