View Single Post
Old February 27 2013, 07:06 AM   #329
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

pigletsgiblets wrote: View Post
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
I started that about six months ago, after having owned all three books for about ten years and not having been able to get past page 50 or so. I said, "Dammit, I'm going to get through these!"

I'm about 80 pages from the end of Blue Mars, which is the third book. (I know there's a prequel, The Martians, but I think I'm going to give that a miss.)

I've been finding them very dry and slow-going, for the most part. There are bits here and there (mostly in the second book) which I found more interesting - mostly the politics - but I find the National Geographic travelogues dull. (As you might guess by the fact that I've been reading them for six months. Normally I read much faster than that, even though I only manage about 20 minutes a day, while I'm on the bus to work in the mornings. (In the evenings, I generally read the newspaper that I buy at lunch.)

How are you finding it?

I'm not a big fantasy reader, but I picked up the January/February issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine a few weeks ago, and have read about half the stories in it so far. I've enjoyed what I've read so far. (Normally, if I'm in a short story mood, I'm more likely to pick up Asimov's or Analog. But a friend had a story in this issue. )
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote