View Single Post
Old February 26 2013, 06:59 PM   #433
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Seth Macfarlane tapped to host this years Academy Awards!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
2013: The year Daredevil, Catwoman, and Mystique all got Oscars.

(Beating out Lois Lane and Aunt May.)
Ha! All their movies are belong to us geeks.

davejames wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Zero Dark Thirty bored the hell out of me. It recreated the events, but why? I saw no depth, no emotional resonance, and I didn't get the impression that the movie was saying anything. I just kept thinking "Why should I care? Just shoot him already and finish the damn movie."
I will agree Zero Dark is a bit overrated, but I still thought it was fascinating to watch how all the pieces were put together to find Bin Laden, and all the resources and dedication such a thing required.

Much like with the excellent United 93 movie, just the fact it's chronicling such a huge and important event makes it more than riveting enough. At least for me.
I wish I could agree, but whereas United 93 gave us several valid and important perspectives - the hijackers, the air control staff, the passengers - ZDT only shows us a small corner of the hunt for bin Laden. There was a whole team of guys trying to track him for several years, which I believe Bush shut down at some point, and which never got a mention, I think. And the whole project was originally conceived as an account of how he got away during the initial invasion of Afghanistan, which wasn't mentioned either. It sort of wanted to be a kind of character study, a la Zodiac, but they couldn't really say anything about the protagonist, since so much about her is off-limits. The Abbotabad raid was great, and very United 93-like, but the rest just felt awkwardly and hastily patched together.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote