View Single Post
Old February 26 2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Cardassian society - enforcement or preference?

I tend to think that while Cardassians are very conservative and want order in society, they do NOT want to be oppressed. They want "sentient rights" just as much as any of us. I think they would define said rights in a very conservative manner, and would retain such things as the acceptance of capital punishment (and not just for murder--I still think there are several other crimes they would keep it for), but I do not see how any group of people can desire to live in constant fear.

Their ideal government would look different to ours (I show an alternate universe where in a way Hebitia survived, that is still half-theocracy, and I have plans for a postwar Cardassia that is somewhat democratic but structured differently from ours), but I do not think they have some innate need to be beaten into submission, to live in fear of being dragged out of their homes in the middle of the night, or to have individual innovation punished instead of at least considered.