View Single Post
Old February 26 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: no more TV in the future? WTF?!

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
I can't see TV dying out even if complete immersion virtual realities as in holosuites could ever be invented.
So you actually don't see non-interactive entertainment formats dying out. Even in Trek, characters still read books.

Reason two: people said nobody'd listen to radio anymore when TV was invented and we still have radios.
Have them, yes, but when was the last time you sat down just to listen to the radio? The only radios I have are for emergencies, not entertainment. Even in the car, I use my phone to play my iTunes library.

Reason three: abolishing TV would kill off two great arts in one go, the art of the cameraman - it's moving photography after all (and they still have holocams!), and that of the actor, since holo characters are simply programmed simulations. I don't like the idea of a future minus that much potential for cultural expression.
Yes, it was sad when the buggy whip artists lost their livelihood, too, but what are you going to do? Force the purchase of horse drawn carriages to keep the "artists" from starving?

Plus after a hard day on duty, I wouldn't want to have to exert myself with a holoprogram (unless we're talking one of Quark's special recommendations maybe) - I'd just want a nice drink and be allowed to passively enjoy an entertaining programme. Like Star Trek...
Again. Books.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote