View Single Post
Old February 26 2013, 05:23 AM   #336
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
While I agree with everything you say and regret the decision to allow Castle to use torture (it's understandable that a man in Castle's position would do it to save his daughter, but Kate should have prevented it, even with the Captain essentially giving them carte blanche), I don't think it's unbelievable in this case that the guy would instantly give up the correct information. He's not a soldier, spy, or true believer, he's just a petty criminal turned hired gun, and since he presumably already got paid for his part he doesn't have any reason to show his former employers any loyalty, especially after taking a bullet for his troubles. I think once Castle established that he was going to cross a line the police wouldn't, that was enough for him to spill the beans.
But the reasons why torture is unreliable have nothing to do with the courage or training of the victim or their ability to resist pain. On the contrary, one of the main reasons is that torture victims will readily lie just to make the pain stop. It's not about being truthful, just about saying what you think the torturer wants to hear.
No kidding? You mean that thing I said in the very next paragraph of the post you quoted but which you oddly chose to omit here? Thanks for the lecture on the thing I already said, though.