View Single Post
Old February 26 2013, 01:57 AM   #192
Vieux Normand
Ensign

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

Johnny wrote: View Post
dayxday1000 wrote: View Post
Vieux Normand wrote: View Post

Subs and luxury liners serve completely different purposes. As far as I can tell, both Galaxy-class and Excelsiors served as explorers/heavy cruisers.

Personnel serving on both Excelsior and D'Deridex-class ships (the latter considerably bigger than the Galaxy) vessels couldn't see out of all those windows?

That might make sense if we were discussing cephalopods. However, vertebrates seem mostly arranged by limbs, body, neck and head. The body is where the heart (power source, analogous to the warp core) is placed, the head is where the brain (analogous to the main computer and bridge on a starship) resides and the limbs/wings are pretty close, in placement and purpose, to the struts and nacelles of a starship.

Rockets (using a Newtonian principle commonly found in nature, as evidenced by any sea-going creatures which use a well-placed jet of water to escape predators) are quite real. Since Trek starship-designs are exercises in total fantasy, I suppose one can make a head and chest analogous to an oversized saucer if one wishes.

Dreadnoughts need not squeeze through a tight gap. As the AGT-prise showed against two Negh'Var-class ships, dreadnoughts make the gap bigger.

The side view of the Gal class was certainly better than other elevations because it de-emphasized both the saucer's size (relative to the rest of the ship) and the relatively-thin neck section just above the secondary hull. The amount of energy wasted in structural-integrity fields, trying to hold all that together under rapid-manoeuvre situations, may well have been one reason why the far-superior Sovereign design had no "neck".

Cheers,

|//|
Wow. Talk about minutiae. I'm hoping those in charge of this production focus on writing a good story, finding decent actors, and maintaining the highest production values possible for a fan film. If there's time and inclination after that, they can worry about making sure the red matter sub-space flux capacitor fits correctly in the Mcguffin polaritrometer. Given the time span it takes to complete a fan film, there will certainly be plenty of time to work on those things later.
Haha, brill! Though I think minutiae in respects to creative mediums like writing becomes very opinion based. Depends how much influence it has on the story. Though I do love a good chat-tet on the old perceived 'pointless'!
Careful there, you might be accused of discussing unimportant matters or some such drivel.

Question: given your opinion of the Galaxy class, what is your take on other ships that follow similar design pattern?

I refer to the Nebula, New Orleans, Cheyenne and Freedom and Challenger class vessels.

In terms of Axanar, I wonder why a two-vertically-arranged-nacelle ship (think Akula or Challenger class) wasn't included in the EarthReich BlitzFleet roster.

After all, if terror is to be maintained, the more means, the better.
Vieux Normand is offline   Reply With Quote