Thread: Section 31...
View Single Post
Old February 26 2013, 01:54 AM   #176
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Section 31...

Sci wrote: View Post
By that logic, anyone who votes in a democracy is also equally responsible for what the government does -- even if their preferred candidate lost, or even if they disagree with subsequent government decisions.

I'm particularly puzzled by the idea that a Founder who disagrees with the rest of the link on a given policy but is overruled bears equal responsibility for that policy. You compare the link to the military chain of command, but it looks more like a general election to me.
I was imagining that the Great Link, as the governing body of the Dominion, was more akin to the U.S. Congress. Every member participates, but even if they're overruled or outvoted, they're part of the decision making. Or, as all military leaders are legitimate military targets, and the Founders are the final authority in the Dominion, including in matters military, they are legitimate targets in a war.

I can't see how you would imagine there are changelings existing in the Great Link that somehow aren't involved in the decision making process. If anything, the Great Link is the most pure democratic body ever depicted in Star Trek. The entire population of changeling-Founders is able to voice their view and sway the decision-making of the Great Link. To imagine that there are Founders who are not making any decisions at all in the Great Link is inconceivable to me. What are they doing instead - watching TV? Playing video games? Picking their underwear out of their non-existent butt cheeks?

For a society to have civilians, there has to be something for those civilians to do. What would civilian Founders do? They exist as an ocean of goo in constant telepathic connection with all the other changelings. Do you imagine they exist in some sort of imaginary mental world, where female Founders shop during a 9-5 imaginary work day, while child Founders are at imaginary primary school and the male Founders wear imaginary business suits while working in imaginary offices on imaginary accounts?

The Founders can take humanoid form, but they are radically non-humanoid, and to apply all the rules of humanoid society to their alien society is ridiculous. You condemn the attack on them, fine, but don't pretend that you can understand a society where the entire population shares an intimate continuous telepathic connection, a congress more intimate than humanoid sexual intercourse that is simultaneously their primary form of communication.

Then why try to force Bashir to keep from developing a cure? Why try to stop him from distributing a cure when they believed he'd developed one?
I don't know, and really it's less important than whether the Great Link is a legitimate target. The Section 31 agents, on behalf of the Federation (though without their consent) acted to deploy a weapon against the leadership of the Dominion. Would it have been preferable to use a spread of photon torpedoes rather than a virus? Do you object to the method, or to the attack in general?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote