View Single Post
Old February 25 2013, 09:10 PM   #375
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: I hope for more traditional space battles

BillJ wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Well I won't name names because that would make it personal you know? Let's just call him/her/them Star Trek fan(s) and laugh at him/her/them because that's ok around here as long as it's not directed at anyone, just in general.
Like laughing at old people. See, that's fine.
I think there's a point though where people take things a bit too far. They're the "Holy Defenders of Canon" and act like anyone with a differing viewpoint is a lesser fan.

That's where those folks get into trouble at. I've been told that I'm not a fan in other threads because I think J.J. Abrams work is every bit as Trek as any other work that carries the label, even though I've been watching the show since 1975. Hell, we've got someone over in the TOS forum essentially calling people who accept Constitution-class sheep because the plaque on the wall says Starship-class.

Maybe they need to allow each individual to decide for themselves what is and isn't Trek? What is and isn't canon?
Yep. Some have more tolerance for differences than others. It's that simple. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream and why there are so many different Protestant religions, each with different sects and synods within them. We can all choose where we're comfortable.
In my opinion, Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman, and the entire "Supreme Court" were far more beholding to canon than they had to be. Paramount probably would've let Abrams make Scotty a woman, if he had wanted to. Though at that point, they would've lost me. I mean, I have my limits, too.

Squiggy wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post

If we are going to talk about hilarity how about how hilarious it is that a person goes around a BBS board all day speaking over others as if they had some sort of authority just because they once had a connection to it 20 years ago.

I guess we all need to cling to something.
I didn't know Squiggy worked on Star Trek? I thought that was another poster...
Truth be told, I'm Gates McFadden.
No you're not! I'm Gates McFadden.