View Single Post
Old February 25 2013, 03:22 PM   #532
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Or titles can be changed for home-video release for clarification. This has happened a couple of times with Star Trek. The original pilot was actually called "The Menagerie" by the time it was filmed, and went under that title for years; but by the early '80s it had become the practice to refer to it in reference works by its earlier working title "The Cage," and when a print of it was finally discovered and released on TV and home video, it was released under that title instead of its real one, and it's been known as "The Cage" ever since.

Also, the 1973 animated series from Filmation was called simply Star Trek, no subtitle. Growing up, I just thought of it as "the animated Star Trek," or when I was younger, "the cartoon Star Trek." When it was first released on home video in 1991, it was billed as The Animated Adventures of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, although the first six words were a tiny supertitle. I'm not sure when it became formally known as Star Trek: The Animated Series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote