View Single Post
Old February 25 2013, 08:32 AM   #100
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Would TMP have been better had they used the TOS uniforms?

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
More accurately, on the level of "we changed it because we could."
Both have a similar amount of thought behind them. That may constitute believable justification for some; it definitely doesn't ring true for me.
But I believe it often is true.
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I would argue that Starfleet can indeed make changes "just for the heck of it"--and often does.
This was explained onscreen? Because if it wasn't, I don't think we can be sure of why a fictional organization does anything.
Which in a real sense, is my point. Trying to adhere Starfleet to real-world organizations doesn't really work all the time, because Starfleet doesn't really have a real-world counterpart that is exactly like it. Starfleet can indeed have its own rationale for doing things--the look of its ships, the look of its uniforms, certain policies, etc.--and as such, the idea that it can do things because it simply wants to is likely valid (if not often the case) in many situations.
I agree, it may not be entirely comparable. But there are enough points of direct comparability to present or historical organizations that we can judge some choices as more likely than others.
Depending solely on how you view Starfleet. In fact, I think the majority of issues people might have with Starfleet is when there are points of direct incompatibility with present or historical organizations, and in such instances, the easiest way to reconcile them is by looking at Starfleet is as its own thing with frequently its own way of doing things.