View Single Post
Old February 25 2013, 05:27 AM   #22
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Uh-Oh!! Is Microsoft setting up to answer Sony?

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
According to Wikipedia, which does cite a source, the last game that Sega published for the Dreamcast was in 2007.

Wikipedia wrote:
The last Dreamcast games published by Sega of Japan were the 2007 releases Trigger Heart Exelica and Karous.[5] Ending 9 years after the release of the console.
Ah. The last sentence of the prior paragraph contradicts that:

Wikipedia wrote:
Many of the games were initially developed for Sega's NAOMI arcade hardware, including Sega's final first-party Dreamcast game, Sonic Team's Puyo Puyo Fever, released on February 24, 2004.
(Which cites the same source as your quote!) And if you go to the pages for those individual games (Exelica and Karous), Sega isn't listed as the publisher of the Dreamcast version.

I wish I understood Japanese so I could read the source link and see whether that was a list of all licensed releases, or just those specifically published by Sega. I'm inclined to believe that the "published" with regards to the 2007 was a mistake (Sega would've still licensed & manufactured the games; they simply weren't the publisher), but it's hard to tell for sure.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
If you want to get even crazier, Square Soft is releasing a Final Fantasy XI expansion pack later next month for the Playstation 2. No, that's not a typo. It's coming out for other systems too and it is just an expansion pack, but still that's quite impressive support.
True. Though given how my coworkers who played FF11 have railed about how the need to keep PS2 compatibility has caused other issues, I'm not sure that was the best move for players on all platforms as a whole.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote