View Single Post
Old February 25 2013, 01:33 AM   #98
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Would TMP have been better had they used the TOS uniforms?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
More accurately, on the level of "we changed it because we could."
Both have a similar amount of thought behind them. That may constitute believable justification for some; it definitely doesn't ring true for me.
I would argue that Starfleet can indeed make changes "just for the heck of it"--and often does.
This was explained onscreen? Because if it wasn't, I don't think we can be sure of why a fictional organization does anything.
I would also argue that Starfleet is not entirely comparable to organizations of centuries ago and can do things differently than they did periodically.
I agree, it may not be entirely comparable. But there are enough points of direct comparability to present or historical organizations that we can judge some choices as more likely than others.
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Or they wanted the Enlisted personnel more practical for what they were doing
An impraticality that only presented itself between TMP and TWOK?
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
When has what they were wearing in Trek had an impact in their status.
Military uniforms represent status within the organization. Historically, people resent having indications of status taken away.
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Exactly. Look at the evolution/devolution of the uniforms in the US Navy. The "crackerjack" was retired for years in favor of a uniform that more closely resembled what officers wore. Then it was brought back.
That's true, there have been some back and forth steps like that. But the overall trend is clearly toward uniformity and fewer distinctions. Look at the USN duty uniforms of today: With the adoption of the khaki service shirt for E1-E6 a few years ago and the "sea camo" NWU, the differences betwen sailors, chief and officers are fewer than ever before.
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Duty uniforms these days vary by what the job at hand entails. It has nothing to do with "class." That's nothing but modern liberal social experimenting BS.
Call it what you like, but military organizations see benefits in eliminating highly visible distingtion between the officer class and enlisted and have consistently moved in that direction. In 1944 the British Army started allowing other ranks to wear their battledress with a shirt and tie. The US Army began phasing out the officers' pinks and greens in 1946. The US Air Force adopted a blue uniform that differentiated rank only by insignia in 1950. The US Navy extended the short-sleeve summer white shirt to E1-E6 in 1963, the winter blue shirt in 1973, and the khaki shirt in 2010. And so on.

At any rate, I've gotten a little far afield of what I intended, which was: I find the TWOK uniforms to be less consistent and therefore less believable than those in TMP.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote