View Single Post
Old February 25 2013, 12:39 AM   #519
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

One thing I never quite understood was why X-Men: The Last Stand was so short. I mean, it's only a little over 100 minutes long, barely longer than the 1st one. Perhaps the movie wouldn't have felt quite so crowded if it had been at least as long as X2.

I think most of us would agree that X-Men: The Last Stand can't hold a candle to X-Men, X2, or X-Men: First Class. But what I'm wondering is, how do you folks think it stacks up next to X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

Personally, I go back & forth. The Last Stand fumbles one of the most iconic stories in comic book history. But there are some isolated moments that work really well. I think the deaths of Professor Xavier & Phoenix are both given the right sense of operatic treatment. The same can be said for when Mystique & Magneto get de-powered. The big moments work. It's all the lovely little small moments that are missing; small moments that Singer handled so well in the 1st 2 movies.

Wolverine never quite reaches the operatic highs of The Last Stand. But at the same time, it doesn't make any truly egregious missteps either. (Deadpool could have been better, but that's not a big issue for this movie.) There's a mediocre competance to Wolverine that gives it a far more even feel than The Last Stand.

So is it better to squander enormous potential or succeed at lower expectations? I used to prefer The Last Stand, but I've found myself leaning more towards Wolverine in the last couple years.