Old February 24 2013, 08:13 PM   #167
EnterpriseClass
Ensign

Re: Section 31...

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
EnterpriseClass wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post

What you presented is a straw-man.
Sci wrote pretty much the same thing in his previous post.

Why is it a straw-man?
Because the federation, other races/other countries do NOT act with blatant aggressivity to reduce the founders/your country to slavery. And it is quite unlikely that they will act so.
Meaning, genocide-level response is not necessary in order to guarantee your freedoms/the lives of billions of your citizens. Consequently, such a response is utterly unjustified; as such, utterly immoral.

In the case of DS9 (the situation you distorted with your straw-man comparison):
The dominion/founders most definitely acted blatantly aggressively to reduce the gamma and alpha quadrants to slavery - and genocide was one of their standard methods of operation in achieving this goal.
Further, 10000 years of dominion history showed that the chance of the founders stopping from this endeavor is practically zero - as long as they exist.
Meaning, in order to stop the founders - the great link, the de jure/de facto head of the dominion meat grinding machine - killing most of the shapeshifting race is necessary; there is no other option for stopping them with a significant chance of succeeding.
There is the small chance that the founders will change their ways by some other means, but, as said, winning the lottery is more probable; and if you are idiotic enough to base your acts on faith in such improbabilities, your civilization and all it achieved will disappear, and very soon - the universe is not forgiving to suicidal fools.
Strawman? Really?

You can't seem to see anything beyond your own point of view, but I expect nothing less from someone who uses the "straw man" argument.
Yeah. Really.

If you want to prove the contrary, you must actually come with counterarguments as opposed to repeating your straw-man (and yes, it is a straw-man - you liking it or not being irrelevant with regards to this; the amount of smileys you use also being irrelevant; etc). And coming with an ad personam (which, among other things, is also a logical fallacy).

Oh man I must have ESP, because I knew exactly what your response would be. I'm not going to engage in playing your games. Go use your "straw man" and "logic fallacy" and "ad personam" nonsense on someone else.

I don't even know why I bothered responding to you. You're clearly one of those people locked in his own point of view and morally righteous opinion. Nothing anyone could ever say will change that.

Waste of my time.
EnterpriseClass is offline   Reply With Quote