Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old February 24 2013, 08:00 PM   #1913
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

ATimson wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
The idea that *all* FTL was destroyed never made sense anyway. Even if the relays all went down, there were still plenty of ships that had FTL drives, they just couldn't get around anywhere near as quickly as the relays could.
True, but it would certainly be an apocalyptic change. I don't remember the exact math, but IIRC "standard" FTL was about as fast as Voyager. When it takes 70 years to cross the galaxy, your galactic civilization is no longer tenable.
Over the long distances, sure, but what really holds a civilization together isn't the speed at which you can get around so much as the ability to communicate within it. With the QECs still up, people could still get messages out across any distance and depending on how intact the reapers left the com-buoy network, you only need one QEC to be in range to then patch into the conventional comm-net.

I'm not saying things would revert back to what they were. Clearly a *lot* would change politically and economically even if the relays never went down at all, but I can't see it plunging the galaxy into some new dark age.

Plus of course, what's a 70 year trip to an Asari or Krogan? A bit long sure, but not infeasible.

Reverend wrote: View Post
The sticky point for me originally was that certain races were a *very* long way from home and getting back before the dextro-amino acid based rations ran out might be impossible.
My understanding is that you have a one-in-four chance of any given planet evolving amino acids/sugars of the correct chirality (50/50 shot for each, you need both to match). Assuming that the chirality isn't influenced by some unknown property of local space, the odds seem decent that you'll find food within local FTL range.

In short, I don't think rations will be a problem as long as you have a working FTL ship.
I think it's a little more complicated than that. For one thing, we have no clue how well provisioned they fleet was when they set out, so we have no idea how long the existing supplies would last. Maybe there's a suitable planet withint range, or maybe the Quarian live-ships could produce enough to feed both themselves and the Turians, but what's the turn around on crop production? Even with heavy rationing would they be able to produce enough in time?

Of course it's all moot now, but at the time, the supply shortages seemed the biggest immediate problem if the fleets had indeed been stranded. That and the fact that for all we knew initially, the relays exploding had wiped out their home systems with them.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote