View Single Post
Old February 24 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: How do u know if a pet store is a puppy mill?? U heard of Petland?

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
We've always gotten rescue dogs, but I think my family is just burnt on the probs they have gone through. Of course, dogs can't live forever, but our last two dogs got cancer and we had to put them to sleep. My parent's are hoping that if they get a purebred, they won't have to worry about as many health problems. We also put a cat to sleep a couple years ago because of cancer. Another one of our cat's is going through renal failure and our other cat has severe weight issues, but we don't know what is wrong. My parents are just scared. = (
I hate to break it to you, but unfortunately any pet may have these same health problems, whether they are purebred or not. That is a terrible reason to only want a purebred, and to waste so much money when there are free and nearly free dogs in shelters all over the place that may be very healthy and never get cancer. I wish there was a way to predict whether your dog will die early, causing you grief, but that is just life. There is no way to know. If your parents are truly burnt out about it, then their best bet is to not get a pet at all. If they really do want another one, then there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a shelter, whether it's a lab or something else. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper and you will know it didn't come from a puppy mill.
T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote