Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old February 24 2013, 03:53 PM   #1911
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I read the wikipedia page... so the Extended Cut basically changes "all FTL travel destroyed" to "the gates are only temporarily damaged"?
Yeah, but strictly speaking that wasn't a change as a clarification. The original ending didn't specifically depict what happened with the relays, just that the Charon relay went bang and the colourful space magic spread across the network.

Not saying that all the relays being destroyed wasn't a fair assumption given the way the cutscenes originally depicted thing, but from what I gather that wasn't the intent. As I said before, the original ending was obviously a rush job and that was hardly the only anomaly that the EC fixed. The fate of your two squadmates and the location of the Normandy leaps to mind.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
I read the wikipedia page... so the Extended Cut basically changes "all FTL travel destroyed" to "the gates are only temporarily damaged"?
"All FTL travel destroyed" was just something that people came up with, it was not part of the original ending. The extended cut made explicit some things which were not spelled out before.
The idea that *all* FTL was destroyed never made sense anyway. Even if the relays all went down, there were still plenty of ships that had FTL drives, they just couldn't get around anywhere near as quickly as the relays could.

The sticky point for me originally was that certain races were a *very* long way from home and getting back before the dextro-amino acid based rations ran out might be impossible.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote