View Single Post
Old February 24 2013, 02:40 PM   #52
Re: Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Franklin wrote: View Post
...As plenty of others have said, there are now actually two Trek universes to play in. The commercial viability of the first one may have played out for now, but that doesn't mean it's gone as in it can never be revisited if the time is ripe and people want to see those characters again.
Yes. This is the main point here...

If a time comes that Picard and his crew can be the characters of a commercially viable film, then people won't give a damn whether or not that universe should or shouldn't exist. They'll just sit in their theater seats and watch the movie.

To be honest with you, I don't really care if ST2009 was an alternate timeline/universe or not. I would STILL be able to enjoy a well-done future TNG story told in the prime universe even if Abrams film was a straight 100% reboot that ignored the alternate universe idea. However, if someone is so inclined to care, then they do have the fact that Abrams crew is in an alternate universe, and the prime universe is still intact the way we last saw it.

Although it escapes me how someone would not allow themselves to enjoy a potential new TNG film set in the prime universe even if ST2009 was a reboot.

One more thing...does LeVar Burton think the TNG TV series should have no longer gone on after the episode "Parallels" in which one of the alternate universe Enterprises blew up?
Walk into splintered sunlight;
Inch your way through
dead dreams to another land.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote