View Single Post
Old February 24 2013, 03:21 AM   #515
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
^If you go into it knowing that it's awful, you might not hate it that much.
Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
X3 had some interesting bits - but it wasn't the best really. Just take it for what it is
Well, I'm back. That really wasn't very good, was it? Too clutered. Too many characters. Too much going on at once. The Jean sub-plot was a total waste. The movie lost a lot of energy that it never quite regained after Xavier was killed, but that paticular sting was lessened knowing what waited in the post-credits.

But Nick Ryder is right, there were some good bits. In particular-- I liked seeing the Danger Room, I liked Kelsey Grammer's Beast, and laughed out loud and clapped with his delivery of, "Oh, my stars and garters". I liked the Fastball Specials, Iceman icing up and best of all-- Kitty vs the Juggernaut!

But, yeah, not a great movie. Still, with both DoFP and The Wolverine picking up from it, I'm glad I took the time to familiarize myself with it.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I would love to someday see the Phoenix Sage redone. Especially with the success of Thor and Avengers, it's clear that the movies can easily get away with aliens and more mystical adversaries. As much as I enjoy the first two X-Men movies, I think the series grounded itself a little too much.
Honestly, they could've done Dark Phoenix without needing to go cosmic at all. Instead of eating a star and destroying an inhabited planet, she eats a nuclear power plant and destroys a city. Instead of the Imperial Guard, you use the army, or X-Factor, or Freedom Force or some other government mutant agency to bring her down.

If you should ever watch/re-watch the "Dark Willow" arc of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, take note of the fact that it is beat for beat essentially an adaptation of Uncanny X-Men 135-136.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; February 24 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote