View Single Post
Old February 23 2013, 07:18 PM   #18
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Early Evidence That You Were A Nerd

RandyS wrote: View Post
I was born with cerebral palsy
Me too. I'm sure the endless hours I spent in physical therapy only encouraged my nerdism. I don't remember much of it other than it was brutal.

It wasn't just the PT, on the even days of the week, I had to do fine-motor training which was worse. The doctors made it sound like it was going to be this great struggle in my life and forced me to do these ridiculous "activities." About the only thing it got me was, by the time I reached junior high, my penmanship was way better than anyone else's.

It was a bit of contention between my parents. My mom fussed over it endlessly while my dad called all those doctors a bunch of kooks. I was playing the piano by the time I was four and the guitar by six. My motor skills couldn't have been that bad.

The only real adverse effect it's had in my life was it kept me out on Annapolis despite my best attempts to lie about it.

Now really all I can say is I have a bit of a gait. People just think I walk funny. Most don't even notice. I suppose in hindsight, all that PT was worth it. But it was fucking hell for a toddler.