View Single Post
Old February 23 2013, 02:30 PM   #184
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Problem with that idea is I doubt the registry number of April's Enterprise was 1701.
Go back to page 9 of this thread and have a look at the second image of April's Enterprise again (the one facing forward). On the inner port nacelle, you can clearly read "NCC-1701."
I can see them re-using the same registry number on a new version of a starship, for record purposes. Using an example from my profession, when an old school is torn down to build a new school on the property once occupied by the former building, it is not uncommon for the new version of the school to be given the same name and school ID number, even though it's technically a different school - it's address ID also doesn't change. It seems to make sense to keep the same designation on a starship.
There are real life precedents going both ways. A few years ago, a local grocery store was closed, torn down, and a new store owned by the same company was built on the same property with the same management and staff. The new store had a different store ID number than the old one.

On the flip-side, a local Wal-Mart shut down and management and staff relocated to a new location on the other end of town. That new store kept the same store ID number as the old one.

In the end, I go with canonical precedent. Starfleet never reuses the same registry number between ships. The Enterprises always have a different letter added to the end. The only true reuse is the Defiant, and even then the producers wanted it to have a different registry but extensive use of stock footge prevented that. Therefore, I doubt April's Enterprise was 1701.