View Single Post
Old February 23 2013, 09:11 AM   #63
CrazyMatt
Commander

Re: Starfleet Command Insignia

Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
Well, maybe Commodore Decker's insignia is different because Commodores have different insignias. Commodore Wesley was commanding the USS Lexington in "The Ultimate Computer" episode and he wears the same insignia as Commodores Mendez and Stone wear on Starbase 11 and Commodore Stocker wears enroute to Starbase 10.

Navigator, NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Possibly. Although we are still left with trying to figure out why Areel Shaw, the court baliff, and Miss Piper all wear the insignia, too.
Greg,

Good point. If the producers wanted all starship personnel to wear the arrowhead shaped insignia then it is possible they wanted all starbase personnel to wear the star-burst/flower shaped insignia. If that is the case then Commodore Decker was neither starship personnel nor starbase personnel. Which raises the question, what is Commodore Decker's insignia suppose to signify?

If the above is true then since Commodore Wesley was wearing the star-burst/flower shaped insignia then he was probably considered starbase personnel that was temporarily in command of the USS Lexington.

Navigator, NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
I'm pretty sure the patches shown all relate to the type of unit, ship or base the individual was assigned to, and rank plays no role. I have no idea why Commodore Wesley wears a Starfleet patch... all I can figure is that it was somehow intended to indicate he wasn't the Lexington's permanent captain.

I originally figured GR directed the creation of unique patches for the Constellation and Exeter; after all, he once told the production team that each area (set) had to have its own unique sound. The Justman memo of 12/18/67 blows that theory out of the water though.... BTW, how positive are we that this memo is authentic?

That said, the only other explaination I can imagine is that Bill Theiss somehow came down with the idea that each starship had its own insignia--remember, there were only 12 of them, so I suppose you could say each was "special," just like we consider aircraft carriers so today--and when appearently nobody corrected him during the filming of TDM, he figured his reasonning was sound when he designed another unique patch for the Exeter for Omega Glory.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote