View Single Post
Old February 23 2013, 08:11 AM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: What Are You Working On (And How Are You Getting There)?

My most pressing concern, is to find a job. However, the career fair I went to a couple of weeks ago was really disheartening. It was in Santa Fe, so I got up at the crack of dawn and drove up there only to stand in line for almost five hours in the cold. When I finally got in, I was shuffled around from station to station where I had to fill-out some paper work (and more paper work). When I did finally get to talk to real people, it was for less than ten minutes. Then I was pushed out the door. Obviously, I've heard nothing back from anyone I talked to. I haven't given up, but it's sometimes hard to get motivated.

I set-out the year with the goal of finishing a novel. I've been mulling it for years now, and I really wanted to accomplish something this year. I had three ideas to start with--each having some bit of work done in the past--and I was hoping to make some progress with at least one. My goal was 8,000 words per month. And, yes, I'm already behind two months in.

My problem is I'm just not that strong a writer, and I'm also a perfectionist at the same time. So I tend to get caught-up on the minutia and fuss about wordage and syntax. Sometimes I scrutinize a single sentence for hours. The other problem is I'm a poet first--a fairly decent one, even. My free-style often clashes with traditional prose. I don't do succinct.

Though J.'s fanfic seems like a good idea. I've thought about starting there for practice. I do have a few ideas.