View Single Post
Old February 23 2013, 08:01 AM   #7
throwback
Captain

Re: Largest annual prize for disease cures and life extension created

Star Trek did an episode on this topic. It was the episode "The Mark of Gideon".

I hate to say the obvious, but humans have always based their decisions in an economic model. I am watching and reading news programs and blogs where people are discussing the economic impact of an aging population. Many people who live in poverty die sooner than those in affluence. There are many reasons for this. I didn't raise this question earlier, but I think it needs to be raised. Would you be in favor of a society where the vast majority of people support a minority who live longer, are free of disease, and have little or no understanding of the lives that their supporters live? There have been cultures where a small elite felt they were entitled to be supported by a majority of people. The scribes who wrote the Talmud wrote that the ideal Jewish society is one where the righteous people were supported by the common people. These holy people would spend their time studying and debating the Oral and Written Law, and would act as intercessors on the behalf of the common people.

There will be less resources in the future. In a hundred years, if predictions prove correct, our world will not be recognizable to us. I have read an article tonight where scientists have updated the temperature at which our world reaches the tipping point in permafrost melting. If world temperatures reach 1.5 degrees Celsius over pre-industrial norms, the permafrost tipping point will have been met. This will result in an increase of carbon into the atmosphere. Scientists predict that this might happen in the mid-21st century.

Like I said, I am in favor of curing diseases, but extending life, no. I think that money should be put into finding ways to save ourselves from plunging into the abyss. I would hope that they would find solutions. However, even if they find solutions, there might not be the political will to implement these changes, and the cost of these solutions might be prohibitively expensive for the common person.

In the end, and recognizing the reality of our world, I believe the only people who will benefit from the solutions created by this contest will be the ones who created the contest in the first place - the affluent.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote