View Single Post
Old February 22 2013, 09:42 PM   #244
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Re: Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
D Man wrote: View Post
I don't get why backwards compatibility is such a big deal. My PS3 can't play my PS2 games...but my PS2 is still hooked up to the TV, sitting right next to the PS3. Unless you want to get ten bucks trading in an old system, what does it matter if a new system plays the old one's games?
Okay, if you only play Sony games it's not a big deal. However, here is what I have hooked up to my TV:

- Wii (Gamecube BC and emulators from Atari 2600 - SNES)
- N64
- Sega Saturn
- Sega Dreamcast
- Xbox
- Playstation 2 (PSX BC)
- PC (Streaming and DVDs)

I really don't have the room to add a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii U, and 720 to that setup.
Not to be rude, but your setup is atypically complex, and Sony and Microsoft have little reason to try to accommodate it. Sony is providing backward compatibility--by way of a streaming service that offers PS3 games. Presumably, you would have to buy them again. This allows Sony to make money off of those games again, which is likely the main reason they're doing it.
Actually, I think the primary reason they're doing it is because they switched architectures as much as they do want to charge again for those games.

I don't even know if they will charge for games I bought digitally. I did pay $5 to play Joust, Crash Bandicoot and Pac Man CE DX and the nostalgia was nice, but if they think I'm going to cough up more so soon to play them again on PS4, I think they will be very disappointed. I'll just keep my PS3.

Oh.... And like clockwork, Microsoft starts to make moves!! They want to limit mindshare of the PS4!

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22...ite-registered
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote