View Single Post
Old February 22 2013, 08:41 PM   #2098
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

I'm not "cherry-picking," and I don't understand why you'd feel it necessary to use such an unkind characterization. I'm just pointing out that it's not unprecedented. Obviously there's still a long way to go, but there is evidence of progress.

As far as other ethnic groups go, I'm seeing an upswing in the representation of South Asians on TV. Sendhil Ramamurthy is staying steadily employed. Last week's Arrow episode guest-starred both Janina Gavankar (as the lead character's current romantic interest) and Rekha Sharma (as a fence), neither of whom was playing a character who was specifically written as Indian. The same episode's cast included two African-American actors (regular David Ramsey and recurring player Christie Laing), two Asian actors (Chin Han and Kelly Hu), and a part-Maori actor (Manu Bennett). More generally, the show's recurring cast includes Colin Salmon as the protagonist's stepfather. I've really been quite pleased with the diversity of the show's cast. Same with Beauty and the Beast, whose regular and recurring cast currently includes four central nonwhite performers (Kristin Kreuk, Nina Lisandrello, Brian J. White, and Nicole Gale Anderson) and is about to be joined by Ramamurthy and Edi Gathegi. The CW is doing quite a good job with inclusive casting, despite the inaccurate claims of that infographic you linked to.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote