View Single Post
Old February 22 2013, 04:26 PM   #246
Christopher
Writer

Re: COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
does anbody feel that JJ Abrams is not reading the comics?
I'd be surprised if he did. The producers of prior Trek series and films didn't read the tie-ins; that was the studio licensing department's job. TV and film producers are busy producing TV and films, and don't have a lot of time to pay attention to side projects, especially not with the sheer mass of tie-ins that Star Trek generates.

Abrams in particular is a very busy man. He's not only directing Into Darkness but is producing or executive-producing four other films currently in pre-production (including Star Wars Episode VII) and five more that have been announced (including the third Trek movie and the fifth Mission: Impossible), and is executive-producing Person of Interest and Revolution for TV. He's probably not very hands-on with the EP gigs, but they're part of the business of the production company he runs, which is very much in demand. Tie-ins are such a teensy-weensy part of that creative empire that it's natural he'd delegate their oversight to someone else.

This is why tie-ins are rarely canonical, and why canonical tie-ins directly overseen by the creators generally only happen after the series has ended (as with the B5 novels, Buffyverse and other Whedon comics, and the like): because creators rarely have the time to devote to the tie-ins while they're busy with the show itself. There are some exceptions to that rule -- the comics based on the Young Justice animated series have been canonical and written/overseen by the show's creators, and I gather there are tie-in comics to Arrow that are considered canonical. But they are exceptions, and they're the work of people who don't have vast filmmaking empires to manage like Abrams does.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote