View Single Post
Old February 22 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
NCC1701
Commodore

Re: Rugby Union 2013 Thread

Chiefs beat the Highlanders 41-27 in Dunedin just now, what an awesome game to start the NZ conference! The scoreline really doesn't show what a close battle it was for 70 minutes. No idea why John Kirwan let Gareth Anscombe go from the Blues, that might come back to bite them later on this year with a hell of a defense at fullback, not to mention the 8 out of 9 successful kicks at goal tonight. Nice tries from both sides especially both of Tim Nanai-Williams' induvidual efforts. Just waiting for the Rebels vs Brumbies game to start now, hope it's as exciting as this game

EDIT: If the Highlanders vs Chiefs was a full frontal assault kind of game, the Rebels vs Brumbies was a war of attrition until about 60 minutes into the game, when the Rebels lost O'Connor to a headknock, Beale suffered a left shoulder injury but somehow managed to stay on, and Saffy managed to get yellow carded within five minutes of coming on, 13-30 at full time. Great to see the Rebels manage to hang on for so long until the Brumbies finally broke the defenses at the end of the game. I would like the Rebels to start forming a quality fourth Australian Super Rugby side, this being their third season in the competition, but instead it looks like they are heading down the same route as the Force, unfortunately, ie largely unremarkable with a few superstars sprinkled in here and there.

Next up are the Bulls vs Stormers, not sure if I'll bother to get up at 6 am for the SA conference opener though, I'd like to see what they are forming up to!

Last edited by NCC1701; February 22 2013 at 11:46 AM.
NCC1701 is offline   Reply With Quote