View Single Post
Old February 22 2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Best Genealogy sites and software to use?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I've been using Gramps, a freeware I found online. I've built up a complete family tree 5 generations without paying for subscriptions to any genealogy databases.
Downloading now. Looks good, thanks.

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
My aunt did a genealogy many years ago. It traced our lineage back to the Mayflower landing. I want to create a "tree", but don't really know how to get started or which software to use. My aunt's is handwritten... long before computers were available to regular people.
That's very cool that you can go back that far! In terms of getting started, I would recommend getting a freeware program (like the above Gramps software) so you don't waste any money if you don't like it, and you can always export a GEDCOM (generic family tree format accessible through all family tree software).

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
My sister is using Ancestry for our family tree and we have several thousands of people on our tree. As it is online we don't put the names of living people on the tree. We go back to the Second Fleet in Australia (1790), and we have been able to trace some branches back further in Britain (some back to the mid 1600s).
Cool!

Non Sync wrote: View Post
familysearch.org is a free site run by the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). No registration is required and has a lot of information.
I always want to use them but my family have zero links to the Mormon church. Doubt I'd get much from them.