View Single Post
Old February 22 2013, 04:35 AM   #2094
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

The time-travel angle is a bit surprising; I was expecting an updated, modern Ichabod Crane, Sherlock/Elementary-style. It's been a while since we had a "person from the past transported to the present" series. There was a supporting character like that in Primeval a couple of years ago. Some of the cast of The 4400 was from decades in the past, but the show never really delved that deeply into that aspect of its premise. There was a supporting character from the past in Primeval a couple of seasons ago. And in the other direction, we've got Continuum with a lead character from the future. But the last show I can think of where the lead character or characters time-travelled from the past into the present (not counting shows about immortals like New Amsterdam, Highlander, and vampire shows) was the Rod Taylor series Outlaws from 1986.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'm impressed that they cast a black woman as the female lead, and another black actor in a major role. Usually there's only one black character: the best friend/foil.
Oh, there are certainly exceptions to that these days. Eureka had Salli Richardson, Joe Morton, and Tembi Locke. White Collar has Marsha Thomason and Sharif Atkins as regulars (Atkins was only bumped up to regular billing this season, but was a regular in all but name for years before then) and Diahann Carroll in a recurring role. And so on. I see a lot of shows today with nicely diverse casting, though there are still exceptions.

I do like the time travel angle (or did he just go back to sleep?)
Wrong Washington Irving character. That's Rip Van Winkle.