View Single Post
Old February 21 2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x04 The Outrageous Okona

This is without a doubt the worst episode in the series. Perhaps it's one of the worst in the history of broadcast television. I cannot watch it when anyone else is around. It makes me embarrassed to be a fan of the series.

This episode presumes to tell us something about charisma, confidence, and comedy, and shows incredible ineptitude in all of them.

Okona is the very embodiment of charm. Everybody likes him from the moment they meet. We know that by the silly grins everybody wears when he's around (Robert Becker owes Wil Wheaton an apology for making him do that) and by all the pretty young Starfleet officers who immediately jump into bed with him (and a bigger apology for making him do that, but at least the scene was cut). Just in case we miss it, the empath is, as always, on hand to narrate.

To say the Okona on screen isn't really so charming would be gross understatement. He's a desperate and pathetic imitation of a man of confidence and charm. He's the most irritating character in the Trek universe. Even Andy Dick can't be this irritating. When he "seduces" Teri Hatcher in the transporter room, Hatcher should have gotten an Emmy for not throwing up on him. I wonder how many takes she needed.

The episode tries to teach us about comedy, yet is painfully unfunny.

Even Whoopi Goldberg can't save this unfunny material. This scene is a microcosm of the episode:
GUINAN: Data, do you even know what a joke is?
DATA: Of course I do. It is a witticism, a gag, a bon mot, a fluctuation of
GUINAN: Stop. Look, it's just you and I here. We're talking, we're having an intimate conversation. Why? Because you're a 'droid and I'm a 'noid.
DATA: But why?
GUINAN: Because that's what I am.
DATA: Have I said something to offend you?
GUINAN: No.
DATA: Then why are you annoyed?
GUINAN: Because you're a 'droid and I'm a 'noid.
DATA: Humanoid.
GUINAN: Yes.
DATA: You told a joke.
DATA: I am not laughing.
DATA: Perhaps the joke was not funny.
GUINAN: No, the joke was funny. It's you, Data.
Guinan : Data :: This episode : viewer

Data's right. The joke is not funny.

The only joy this episode offers is ranting about it on TrekBBS.

What's with the ADR on Yanar?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote