View Single Post
Old February 21 2013, 12:23 AM   #45
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Requiem for Methuselah (Spoilers)

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
"I know who you are. I have monitored your ship since it entered this system." If he can monitor the ship in orbit, I presume he can monitor his whole planet.
It's one thing to monitor a distant vessel entering your solar system with nothing to hide behind, yet an entirely different matter when it comes to scanning the complex topography of a planetary landscape.

If he can shrink down the Enterprise and haul it down from orbit with the push of a button, I presume he could be similarly formidable against a landing party on the other side of the planet.
Well, that's another terribly unrealistic aspect of the episode. The complexity to essentially teleport a vast starship from orbit into a miniaturized form on the surface is... well, just plain ridiculous. Matter must be conserved--so where does it go, and then return from when the Enterprise is restored? Think of the scale of one human being to the Enterprise. The ship was reduced to no bigger than Kirk's behind. And if Flint has that kind of power, why wouldn't he just miniaturize the landing party and then deal with them on that highly advantageous scale of intimidation (e.g. Giant Apollo in "Who Mourns for Adonais")? Anyway, even accepting the outlandish teleportation and miniaturization ability, I suspect it requires line-of-sight to work.