View Single Post
Old February 20 2013, 09:52 PM   #42
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Adventures in Space & Time & Misdirection?

diankra wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
StCoop wrote: View Post

I think the difference is in the US you get paid if they use your character but you don't get any say over what they do with it.
Also, in the US (or at least with Trek) it only applies to characters, not alien species. People like Gene L Coon or Maurice Hurley don't collect royalties whenever Klingons, Romulans or Borg are used.
But they were, I believe, on the permanent writing staff at the time - ie, salaried workers on a permanent contract - rather than freelancers contributing a single script. The key test case would, I guess, be whether Paul Schneider (who was a freelancer when he wrote Balance of Terror) does own the Romulans.
I recall a Starlog article in the early 90s on this. If I remember correctly, Scheider wasn't eligible for royalties on the Romulans.

Jerome Bixby attempted to get royalties for the Mirror Universe when Deep Space Nine started using it annually, but his claim was rejected as the Mirror Universe was a concept rather than a character.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote