View Single Post
Old February 20 2013, 06:25 PM   #336
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: I hope for more traditional space battles

UFO wrote: View Post

BillJ wrote: View Post

He executed six billion men, women and children. I have no problem with Kirk giving him a parting shot.
And that is a good reason why Star Trek should continue to have a problem with it (in my opinion), as it always (previously) has, as far as I can tell. Only the scale is different. Note, I am not saying Nero couldn't come to a sticky end, just do it right, if that's what's required.
This is what's wrong with Star Trek, or more exactly a portion of the Star Trek fanbase. They bought Roddenberry's 'perfect human' non-sense hook, line and sinker. As much as I love The Next Generation, the characters are mostly unrecognizable as human beings. Thankfully, DS9 and the two other spinoffs did a bit to reel it back in.

What we got from Kirk was an offer to save his father's killer, likely through gritted teeth and he was promptly told to go fuck himself. Him giving Nero a sweet kiss goodnight with a bucket of photon torpedoes was an incredibly human reaction. A reaction those sitting in the theater seats could understand. Likely the reason the movie was a hit was because the characters in a Trek movie acted like humans again for the first time in a long time.

Last edited by BillJ; February 20 2013 at 06:37 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote