View Single Post
Old February 20 2013, 04:50 PM   #598
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Christopher wrote: View Post
A question just occurred to me. In the original trilogy, the order that Obi-Wan Kenobi had belonged to was referred to as the Jedi Knights. That's how I grew up thinking of them. But now it seems to me that they're just called the Jedi or the Jedi Order or something. Has the "Jedi Knight" usage fallen out of favor?
It would seem so.

That reminds me of something else sorta related: the various uses of the term "master." I believe Barriss Offee addressed Anakin as "master" in front of the elevator, even though she's not his Padawan, and Anakin was never a Jedi Master.

Which brings us back to the point that Anakin himself was only ever a Jedi Knight. "Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father." True.

Granted, though, that doesn't explain all usages of the phrase "Jedi Knight" in the OT. "For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." You have to perform contortions to render that line fully consistent with how the PT ended up being.

http://www.blueharvest.net/scoops/anh-script.shtml